Frequently Asked Questions | Project Management Certifications
- Is project management certification valuable?
Yes but be careful. You need to understand what each certification is, its value, and its limitations. You also need to decide what you want out of certifications.
If you are hiring manager – what we just said applies to you as well and we add: do not just trust a candidate based on a certification since some certifications have a reputation much bigger than they can deliver. Read more
- What types of project management certification are available?
Like professional associations, there are two major categories of certifications, general project and program management certifications and specialized certifications.
- What are the general project and program management certifications?
- CAPM®: Certified Associate in Project Management®; introductory requires only one course or 1500 hours project management experience.
- PMP®: Project Management Professional®; some consider this as advanced and we consider it professional level since it requires only 4500 hours of project management experience (little more than 2 years) with a college degree.
- PgMP: Program Management Professional; more advanced than the PMP and requires 8 years of experience (four general business and four project management).
- IPMA Level D: Certified Project Management Practitioner; introductory. Please notice due to the decentralized structure that IPMA follows the names of the certification could vary from one country to another.
- IPMA Level C: Certified Project Management Professional. This is similar to the PMP® but has tougher requirements. This is suitable for project managers for non-complex project or as an assistant to a Level B project manager.
- IPMA Level B: Certified Project Manager. This is a senior level certification and suitable for project manager leading large and complex projects.
- IPMA Level A: Certified Project Director. This the highest level with only a few hundred certificate holders around the world.
APM Group (UK) offers:
- PRINCE2®: There are three different PRINCE2® certifications; Foundation, Practitioner, and Professional.
- MSP: Managing Successful programs
Others: there are numerous other certifications some of them are country specific.
- What are the specialized project management certifications?
There are numerous, including: on earned value, planning and scheduling, risk, agile, cost, value engineering, quality, among numerous others.
- Is there a way to compare certifications?
One of the best studies we have seen is by Dr. Paul D. Giammalvo, we will try to get a copy to post here.