Frequently Asked Questions | General Project Management
- What is project management?
Project management is about the science, art, and psycholog y of managing projects, one at a time.
- Is project management only for managing single projects?
No, project management as a domain has grown significantly over the last two or three decades, where project management has become a strategic imperative. In other words, in narrow definition project management is about managing single projects but from the wider perspective, project management is about managing the organization’s projects, which include program and portfolio management, in addition, to the concepts of project management office, and project management maturity.
- What is the definition of a project?
There are many definitions. The Project Management Institute® defines a project as “a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product service or result.” Our own definition is: “A project is anything we create from scratch … or a major change to an existing system … that requires major effort in terms of planning & delivery”.
- Is project management limited to construction of technology?
No! Today, project management has expanded into every domain and industry. Project management skills and practices are essential in healthcare, hospitality, media and marketing, defense, government, airlines, transportation, environmental, and numerous others. Just take a look at SUKAD clients to see the diversity of industries using project management in this region alone.
- How can I learn project management?
There are many ways, such as:
- On the job if your company have project management practices in place
- University education, unfortunately in the Arab World, or at least West Asia, we are not aware of any university that offers project management as an undergraduate degree. A few universities offer project management at the graduate level leading to master degree. Only one university offers a PhD in project management in the region, this is British University in Dubai.
- Take courses from learning and educational providers, there are many in the region, including SUKAD but make sure you review the instructors / consultant profiles before you register since many organizations try to impress you with profiles but no names. Other organizations have young graduates leading professional project management courses. Check out our How to Select a Training Provider checklist.